When you have a big problem to solve, the first thing you should do is break it into manageable pieces. That’s why to help me solve my bird-detector problem, I’ve broken the problem into steps. Here’s what I’ve come up with:
- Use Python to control camera.
- Use camera to detect motion.
- Use Python to detect motion.
- Modify Python program to only detect birds.
- Use Python to send an email or text message.
- Modify Python program to send an email or text message when it detects birds.
- Modify Python program so it works at the lake.
- Mount Raspberry Pi and camera at the lake and start the program.
I think I’m going to start by solving problems 2 and 3, because if they don’t work, nothing in the program will work. Wish me luck!